This Academic Life
7.05.2004
  God bless the InterNet
Seriously.

Here I am in Krakow, finishing up a book chapter which is about three weeks late, and I need to cite an article which I do not have with me. I have the publication information, but nothing else; I need a specific page number for the point that I want to make. So I fire up the web browser, navigate over to JSTOR (with a quick stop at my university library's page to pick up the remote login -- JSTOR is a commercial service to which many organizations have subscriptions, and mine uses a proxy system for authentication when accessing electronic resources from off-campus), and download the article to my hard drive in pdf format.

The only thing better would be if JSTOR pdfs were text-searchable, which they don't tend to be. Got to investigate why that is.

But in any event, God bless the InterNet indeed.

[Posted with ecto]
 
|

<< Home
"Academia als Beruf," or, an occasional record of the various aspects of my life as an academic. Written by "21stCWeber," an arrogant handle I know…but I must confess that I do want to be Weber when and if I grow up :-)

BLOGROLL

ARCHIVES


Powered by Blogger