This Academic Life
1.28.2005
  Oh, come ON
If I hadn't read it in the paper -- and seen the pictures, for crying out loud -- I wouldn't have believed it:

Dick Cheney, Dressing Down

Please. Who wears a ski cap and a parka to a ceremony commemorating the sixtieth anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz??

Having just been at Auschwitz six months ago, I can confidently say that it is not the kind of place you want to wear informal clothing to in general. It's far too somber for that; too many ghosts still on active duty.

This is the kind of thing that gets the U.S. in image trouble with the rest of the planet. Empires are supposed to at least be dignified; what's the point of overwhelming power if you can't at least be ceremonial and impressive about it?

Yet another example of the incredible bipolarity of this Administration: they are very sensitive to nuances of image at home, and almost completely tone-deaf abroad. One wishes that they'd be a little more balanced.

[Posted with ecto]
 
|

<< Home
"Academia als Beruf," or, an occasional record of the various aspects of my life as an academic. Written by "21stCWeber," an arrogant handle I know…but I must confess that I do want to be Weber when and if I grow up :-)

BLOGROLL

ARCHIVES


Powered by Blogger